October 09, 2015

[Lego] ArcFire MOC


Hi guys! Another quick doodle I've made earlier this month.

I wanted to create a MOC out of a combination of Bionicle and CCBS parts, and after one afternoon I managed
to come up with this. I think that both Bionicle and CCBS pulls out the best of its system when you combine them together.

The inspiration came from the character ArcBeetle, if you guys might know the late nineties anime Medabots.
I really love the way how ArcBeetle has the two horns directing forward in a dramatic proportion - which is
used for his signature move called The Prominence.

There's plenty of articulation around the model. The legs and arms use the standard CCBS combination to allow
to form knees. While the legs are covered with your basic CCBS panels, the upper arms are connected to one double cannon each, that are fixated in a 90 degrees angle.

The head can also tilt up. In case you didn't notice yet, the visor of this model is made from a default socket connector in Trans-Medium Blue.

In the stomach of the model, there's two smaller cannons which can be rotated up and down.
The two similar sized cannons below the shoulders that extend all the way to the back are fixated and can't rotate,
by the way.

I wanted to have the model as sturdy as I could build it - and it's hard to accidentally break the model because
I've managed to use some friction techniques I've been using in my Hailfire Droid to keep it from falling apart when
it's driving. The Pridak foot piece that is mounted on the head won't budge easy, to prevent the head from falling apart when you pose it (because you would often grab that foot piece to turn around the head).

One thing that I wanted to do right in this model was having the Hero Factory hand piece in combination with
an arm cannon. First I've tried to have cannon arms without hands, but I didn't feel satisfied with the looks in combination with the rest of the model. Eventually I found a way to use those older Bionicle feet to build
those cannons - a method I've actually done in the past a lot as well!

Fun fact: this isn't the first version of this particular design. A few weeks earlier during September, I tried to shape something similar with the use of a small CCBS standard body. However, I had some issues with scaling the character's proportion, so I ended up redesigning it from scratch.

That's it for today! I'll see you guys next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment