August 05, 2015

[Lego] Work in Progress: STAR WARS™ Hailfire Droid - Take 6

Return back to Project Overview.


Hi guys! Just a small but important change has made on the Hailfire Droid. I'll also be posting a short update post about the Constructor soon, for the ones who wonder.

In my previous post, I mentioned I was working on covering specific parts on the Hailfire itself. A few days ago I started working on the "tail" of the droid (the back of the Hailfire Droid). As mentioned a few times on this blog, specific "odd colours" are temporary placeholders before I can get them in the right variant.


So far as of this post, this is the current tail. I know it's not entirely finished (this includes the bottom, the top and the colours), but I wanted to share it with you guys anyways. Because I've been adding weight on the back, the Hailfire Droid now slightly tilts backward - it's something I have to rebalance on a later stage when I work on the front again.

In previous versions of this model, I was trying to work with hinges in order to get the back angled. It didn't really work out as I hope it would be, so I had to change that with some semi-flexible tube pieces. I managed to get the angles I wanted a bit better with those parts, however there's still some work left for me to do.

The mixture of gray, white and black pieces on the top of the Hailfire is just a structural spine. It will be covered after the top is finished. It's required in order to keep the head sturdy; you can actually lift the entire model from the spine!

I might also have to redesign the bottom of the Hailfire Droid, but that will be for a later moment. That's it for now - I'll see you guys again next post!

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get all the parts for that? I have two of the Technic Hailfire Droid so I would like to upgrade the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Most of the parts are obtained through Bricklink. You can also get pieces from BrickOwl and LEGO®'s Bricks and Pieces. Bricklink and BrickOwl are often the better choice in supply and pricing, because you buy directly from other fans around the globe instead through smaller companies/resellers who buy underpriced bulks from other people and sell overpriced through their own websites/local stands during LEGO®/toy community events.

      You probably have to get used to Bricklink and/or BrickOwls systems, but whenever you find yourself comfortable and get familiar with them, you'll be good to go. There's plenty of guides around the internet for how to use both websites. If you have any other questions, please ask!

      Delete