August 05, 2015

[Lego] Borderlands 2 in Lego® - Constructor - Take 7! [Work In Progress]

Return back to Project Overview.



Sup guys! Another post about the Constructor's progress, but it'll be a small one for now. There has been two major changes to the model's functionality, next to a few small changes.

The small changes has been related to the folding feature themselves. I found a way to largely reduce the required torque for the Mindstorms EV3 servo for pushing the pneumatic pumps by changing a few pieces that were mounted between both. The legs of the Constructor have also been adjusted to improve the folding and the stability of the Constructor when it's entirely folded out.

An image taken from a previous blogpost about the Constructor, you can clearly see that having those pumps being exposed like that can cause some issues.
One of the major issues with the Constructor that wasn't solved was how to avoid fingers getting stuck between the two outer pneumatic pumps on both sides.

For quite a while, I've been looking how to avoid fingers to get stuck between the pumps. First, I thought having some panels around it might solve the issue, but when I was looking at how little space I had left without affecting the body or final shape too much, I thought having something flexible might work better.


After a handful of attempts, I found a way to use those LEGO® net pieces to create a flexible shape around the body. I had to make sure those pieces were tight around the surface, because I had to make sure that you can't get a finger stuck somewhere. There's a handful of parts sticking out the locations where the net is mounted on, but those parts are for connecting structures to the main body in the future.


The second major change is just a part of convenience. Previously, in order to start the Constructor program, you had to open the entire back section to reach out the large center button on the Mindstorms EV3 programmable brick. When I've added the safety button on the outside of the Constructor that stopped the program instant when needed, you had to reopen the back once again.

At first, you wouldn't think of it being such an issue - but later after doing that process plenty of times, I thought I might add a little button on the back that can start the program with ease. It's nothing more than just a small little Technic beam that hinges and pushes the center piece when you push on the back (as shown on the image).

That's it for this post. I'll see you guys again next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment